Mirror

Alexander Isak statement blasted as 'ridiculous' as agent speaks out on Liverpool saga

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to LFC Live.net.

Isak's ongoing situation at Newcastle could reach a conclusion before Monday evening's transfer deadline.

The saga has seen the Magpies turn down a £110million offer from Liverpool earlier this month, before the situation became toxic with Isak pushing for an exit from St James' Park, training separately from his team-mates and being left out of this season’s opening fixtures.

The Swede, 25, has made his position crystal clear that he has no desire to play for Newcastle again.



That was understood to be in relation to either a new, upgraded contract, which Newcastle failed to agree terms with him on, or telling the striker they would be open to him exploring options elsewhere.



READ MORE:Newcastle complete £65m striker transfer to open door for Alexander Isak Liverpool moveREAD MORE:Eddie Howe sends strong message to Alexander Isak as Liverpool saga drags on

Newcastle's owners held discussions with Isak prior to their 3-2 loss to Liverpool on Monday evening in the hope they could persuade their star player to remain with the offer of a bumper new deal.

However, Isak reportedly has zero interest in doing so.

The Magpies have therefore completed the £65million signing of Stuttgart’s Nick Woltemade as a replacement ahead of a potential new British transfer record-breaking offer from Liverpool for Isak, which could be in the region of £130m before add-ons and bonuses.

Now, Sky Andrew, the sports agent who famously brokered Sol Campbell's controversial move from Tottenham to Arsenal, has strongly criticised how Isak's representative has managed his situation.

He said: “You've noticed, and I don't want to pour scorn on my profession, but you've noticed that it's only Isak that is seen as the bad guy.

Alexander Isak could join Liverpool for a record-breaking fee(Image: PA)

"There's something going on behind the scenes where he's being advised to behave in a certain way, but this isn't a good situation for football.

Liverpool could quite rightly say to him, 'We want a 20-year contract with no buyout,' because he's got nowhere else to go."

Andrew then dissected Isak's recent statement and his claims that the club had broken promises, arguing that gentleman’s agreements shouldn't be treated as binding when millions of pounds are at stake - a view recently shared by Alan Shearer, who suggested that Isak "should sack" his agent.

He said: "That's absolutely ridiculous.

And for any agent to not put discussions, whatever promises were made, they've got to be put in a contract.

Eddie Howe insists he made no promises to Isak(Image: PA)

"If it's not in a contract, you can't expect anyone to honour it.