Rousing the Kop

Exclusive: Liverpool set to dig in and keep Harvey Elliott but 'top-level' player could leave instead

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to LFC Live.net.

Exclusive with Graeme Bailey.

Liverpool are prepared to keep Harvey Elliott beyond Monday’s transfer deadline even if a big offer arrives, Rousing The Kop understands.

The Reds have seen interest arrive in Elliott from RB Leipzig, but are understood to be keen to keep hold of the 22-year-old.



Having started only two Premier League games in 2024/25, Elliott has been looking to get more game time, reluctantly accepting that he may have to move away from Liverpool to get it.



However, Arne Slot still sees the England U21 star as being part of his plans, and there is a feeling behind the scenes at Liverpool that it would be a mistake to allow Elliott to leave.



As a result, RTK have been told that the Reds currently plan to resist interest in their No.

19.

Elliott’s future is not understood to be linked to whether Liverpool sign Alexander Isak, with the youngster being seen internally as an ideal deputy to Florian Wirtz.

Should a big offer arrive, though, Liverpool’s stance could yet be tested.

Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images

Although Slot is hoping to keep Elliott within the Liverpool squad at least until January, there could still be a big name departure from Anfield before Monday’s deadline.

Federico Chiesa has had a good start to the season having appeared in both of Liverpool’s Premier League matches so far.

MORE LIVERPOOL STORIES

However, RTK have been informed that if Isak arrives – as is expected at this stage – then Chiesa could still depart.

Liverpool are understood to be happy to retain the Italian, but if he is pushed further down the pecking order by Isak, the player himself may decide to move on.

READ MORE: How much Liverpool’s second bid for Alexander Isak is expected to be as Eddie Howe gives approval

Despite the lateness of the window, there are understood to be several Serie A suitors still open to signing Chiesa should the 27-year-old signal a desire to leave Liverpool.

Nothing is guaranteed at this stage, and all options remain open, but RTK have been told that a late exit for Chiesa should not be totally ruled out.

Chiesa has been described as ‘top-level‘ since joining Liverpool, and his potential farewell is understood to be completely dependent on the Reds getting a deal for Isak over the line.

And, as of Friday afternoon, Liverpool are expecting to conclude a British record signing of the Newcastle striker before Monday’s deadline.

The Reds are also set to sign Marc Guehi from Crystal Palace, with the centre-back expected to be left out of Sunday’s visit to Villa Park.

Nothing is done on either front at the time of writing, but sources have indicated that Liverpool are expecting to sign both players for an outlay of £150m-£170m.