Football Insider

Exclusive: Nottingham Forest hijack West Ham's deal

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to LFC Live.net.

Credit: Imago

Pete O'Rourke, Transfer Correspondent

Exclusive: Nottingham Forest hijack West Ham's deal


Fri 29 August 2025 15:25, UK



Nottingham Forest have opened talks about signing Botafogo goalkeeper John Victor, sources have told Football Insider.



Forest are ready to beat West Ham to the Brazilian shot-stopper’s signature ahead of Monday evening’s transfer deadline.

Botafogo have given the green light for Victor, 29, to leave the club in the final days of the summer transfer window after months of speculation.

Football Insider exclusively revealed on 1 August that West Ham made a £10million bid for Victor after scouts were spotted tracking his progress.

Following his impressive displays at the Club World Cup, a number of Premier League teams have been keen to bring him to England.

Forest are now pushing ahead with a move as they aim to utilise their strong relationship with Botafogo, having already signed Igor Jesus and Jair Cunha this summer.

Credit: Imago

Football Insider revealed earlier this month that Victor’s move to West Ham has collapsed as they opted to push forward in their pursuit of Mads Hermansen.

MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES

The goalkeeper has a release clause in his contract with the Brazilian club, and remains widely expected to move on before the end of the transfer window.

The door has now been opened for Premier League rivals to swoop, with Forest moving in front of a number of interested sides in their bid to agree terms.

Ahead of their participation in the Europa League, Nuno Espirito Santo remains determined to strengthen his squad with two players in every position.

Meanwhile, Football Insider revealed last month that Aston Villa, Wolves and Burnley want Victor, while Man United have also been heavily linked with the shot-stopper.

Credit: Imago

Alongside ongoing speculation about incoming deals at the City Ground, doubts have also emerged about Nuno’s long-term future with tensions rising.

Football Insider revealed on 29 August that Forest are holding crunch talks with Nuno about his future in the wake of his public comments about Evangleos Marinakis.

All parties are believed to be keen to reach a resolution over the manager’s future, but there are doubts about whether the controversial owner can be won over.

Industry insider Mick Brown told Football Insider on 26 August that Forest are considering sacking Nuno with tensions rising among the key powers behind the scenes.

For more Nottingham Forest and exclusive news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone.