Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to LFC Live.net.
Credit: Hasan Karim - Breaking Media/Imago
Alex Oakhill
Fri 29 August 2025 7:00, UK
Marc Guehi’s move from Crystal Palace to Liverpool could be in doubt as the transfer window draws to a close.
The England international has been linked with a move to Anfield all summer, as Arne Slot looks to boost his defensive ranks.
Guehi has just one year left on his Palace contract, and the feeling was that Steve Parish wanted to cash in on the defender now, rather than risk losing him on a free.
However, with deadline day rapidly approaching, the two clubs have yet to come to an agreement regarding price.
Everton’s former chief Keith Wyness – who served as CEO at Goodison Park between 2004 and 2009 and now runs a football consultancy advising elite clubs – believes that Guehi’s potential move to Liverpool is far from certain.
Credit: Manh Tung, Breaking Media
This article contains exclusive comment from Keith Wyness, former Everton, Aston Villa, and Aberdeen CEO.
Speaking on the new edition of Football Insider’s Inside Track podcast, Wyness revealed he has heard that Palace are now considering keeping Guehi for one more year if they don’t receive a strong enough bid, and taking the hit next summer when he can leave for free.
MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES
The Eagles want £40million for their captain, who has been one of their most important players over the last few years.
Wyness added that Liverpool need Guehi to strengthen their dodgy defence, so may give in and pay Palace the money they are looking for.
He told Football Insider‘s Inside Track podcast: “I was convinced all the way through that he would be going to Liverpool, and it was just a matter of time and negotiation.
“That could still be the case, but I’m hearing more and more that Palace are determined to try and stick with him and even forego the money for the sale, and let him go at the end of his contract.
“I still think Liverpool may weaken and give Palace the money they’re looking for to get it done.
It became very clear on Monday night against Newcastle that Liverpool are lacking at the back, and I think Guehi is the player that they do need in many ways.
“We’ll see how it goes, but from being pretty sure that he was off to Liverpool, I’ve now got a slightly bigger doubt and Palace playing hardball.”
Meanwhile, Middlesbrough have been informed by central midfielder Hayden Hackney that he wants to leave if a Premier League club comes in for him before the transfer window closes, sources have told Football Insider.
A number of Premier League clubs, including Crystal Palace, are plotting last-minute moves for Hackney before next week’s deadline.
Middlesbrough are battling to keep hold of their prize asset and do not want to lose him so late on in the window.
Hackney has played every single minute of Boro’s Championship campaign so far, and is a big part of why his side have a 100% record in the division.
For more Crystal Palace and exclusive news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone.