DaveOCKOP

Oliver Glasner appears to cast doubt on Marc Guehi sale

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to LFC Live.net.

Image Credits: Imago Images

Marc Guehi finds himself at the heart of intense transfer speculation as Crystal Palace navigate a precarious contractual situation amid interest from Liverpool.

The 25-year-old England centre-back enters the final year of his Palace deal and has yet to commit to fresh terms, leaving the Eagles open to offers to avoid losing him on a free next summer.



Chairman Steve Parish has reluctantly acknowledged that Palace “may have to sell” if Guehi refuses to extend his contract, valuing him at around £40 million.



However, his manager does not agree.

Speaking ahead of his side’s clash against Aston Villa in the Premier League, Glasner has asserted that getting a replacement for someone like Guehi at this stage of the window is near impossible:

“From my side, he has to [still be a Crystal Palace player] because it’s not possible at the moment to find a Marc Guehi replacement who can play straight in the Premier League, being a starter, being consistent,” the Austrian said.

“When we see our foundation of success in the last few months, it’s our defence… Marc is a crucial part.

“Getting the right replacement in now is almost impossible.”

He also lamented the fact that the transfer window is cutting into the season, even admitting he will go out for a drink when the window slams shut on Monday:

“I mention it often, for me and for every manager, it would best if the window stops when the season starts, because you’re preparing the team for a season,” he said.

“That would make it easier, but at the end I will do the same as last year – Monday, September 1, I will go into the pub and order a pint of beer.”

Want to get the latest Liverpool news direct to your phone