Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to LFC Live.net.
Credit: Imago
Pete O'Rourke, Transfer Correspondent
Fri 29 August 2025 13:03, UK
Yoane Wissa will be absent from Brentford’s squad to face Sunderland as he continues to push for a move to Newcastle United, sources have told Football Insider.
Speaking on the latest edition of Football Insider’s Inside Track podcast, senior correspondent Pete O’Rourke revealed what his sources have said about Wissa’s attempts to leave Brentford this summer.
Newcastle have already seen two bids for Wissa rejected, and Football Insider revealed on 22 August that Brentford would demand north of £50million to sell their wantaway striker before the window closes.
Wissa is still attempting to force his way out of the Gtech Community Stadium and refused to train with Keith Andrews‘ side earlier this summer, but Brentford will sign a replacement before letting him leave.
Now, sources have told Football Insider that Newcastle simply aren’t willing to pay Wissa’s £50m price tag this summer, and have since turned their attention to Jorgen Strand Larsen and Nick Woltemade.
Football Insider sources have stated that Wissa will sit out Brentford‘s next Premier League match at Sunderland on Saturday, with Andrews unwilling to field a player lacking sharpness despite his continued stance that he wants to keep the striker.
Credit: Manh Tung, Breaking Media
Newcastle’s continued inability to reach an agreement with Brentford for Wissa has resulted in other targets being explored, and a £64million deal to sign Woltemade from Stuttgart has now been agreed.
MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES
Speaking on the new Inside Track podcast, O’Rourke was asked if Wissa will eventually end up as a Newcastle player before the end of the transfer window, as Brentford continue to dig in their heels.
“It’s difficult to see where this one goes”, he told Football Insider.
“We know Yoane Wissa wants to make that move to Newcastle – it’s just Newcastle aren’t willing to meet Brentford’s valuation for the player.
“He isn’t going to be in the squad this weekend against Sunderland again, because Keith Andrews feels that it’s not right to bring him back into the fold having not trained as much as everyone else.
“Who knows what’s going to happen with this one, with Newcastle scrambling around for strikers.”
Sport Themen der Woche KW44 Sport Bilder des Tages Im Bild: Nick Woltemade VFB Stuttgart, 11 Jubel nach seinem Tor zum 1:0, jubelnd, bejubelt, jubelt, jubeln, emotionen 29.10.2024, Fussball, DFB-Pokal, VfB Stuttgart – 1.
FC Kaiserslautern, GER, Stuttgart, MHP Arena, DFL REGULATIONS PROHIBIT ANY U…
With Woltemade on the brink of becoming a Newcastle player and Football Insider reporting that Strand Larsen wants to leave Wolves after two rejected bids, Wissa’s transfer has been left on the back-burner.
Wissa followed Alexander Isak‘s lead by going on strike in order to force a big-money move this summer, but both in-demand frontmen could see the transfer window end without completing their desired exits.
Isak’s anticipated move to Liverpool remains in stasis despite his refusal to train and play for Newcastle, and Wissa adopting a similar stance is yet to pay off with Brentford holding firm on his potential transfer.
Both Isak and Wissa risk missing the boat on the transfers they’ve caused such a stir to force through, but Newcastle hold all the keys to decide how and where the duo’s futures will be decided.