BBC

SFA 'fully support' referee Robertson & release Celtic Park audio

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version from BBC or go back to LFC Live.


The Scottish FA has released the video and audio, external from the final moments of last Saturday's dramatic final-day Scottish Premiership title decider to confirm Don Robertson did end the game after consulting with Hearts boss Derek McInnes.The Tynecastle head coach wanted his players off the pitch as Celtic fans streamed on following Callum Osmand's late goal that made it 3-1 to the hosts.The Scottish FA say Robertson took the "correct action in ending the game".Hearts shareholder Tony Bloom claimed on Wednesday that Tynecastle players were assaulted by Celtic fans.Celtic manager Martin O'Neill dismissed criticism of the pitch invasion as "nonsense" and said allegations of assault have "not been proved".Hearts also raised concerns about the "premature" end to the match, with referee Robertson signalling for full-time despite there appearing to be 30 seconds left of the eight minutes of stoppage time when Osmand scored.The club's statement added they wrote to the SPFL and Scottish FA "expressing our concern that a troubling precedent has been set whereby a pitch invasion can effectively determine the duration of a match".The SFA's statement noted McInnes "intimated concerns over player safety", which means the game was ended without adding on the usual extra time for a goal celebration."We fully support the decisive action taken by Don Robertson and his team to end the game," the governing body added."In the context of what unfolded – which is verified by the footage and the Match Incident Report submitted to the Scottish FA – the match official clearly communicated that the match was ended and not abandoned."After Celtic were awarded a controversial late penalty against Motherwell in the penultimate round of league fixtures, referee John Beaton was placed under police surveillance after his personal details were leaked online.Last week, Police Scotland confirmed a man, 19, has been charged "in connection with a data protection offence" and will appear in court at a later date.Now, the Scottish Senior Football Referees' Association has released a statement saying "irresponsible commentary from some managers, clubs and sections of the media has only served to fuel an already toxic environment".It also condemns "unacceptable" pitch invasions - which "must never be accepted as the norm" - and says if these incidents continue it "will reserve all options open to us"."We accept scrutiny is a part of football, but what we have witnessed in the last month has been entirely disproportionate and crossed the line from legitimate debate into behaviour risking the safety of officials and their family," the statement said."No referee should be subjected to this abuse, intimidation, threats or the leaking of private information simply for carrying out their duties. Such conduct has no place in Scottish football or society more generally.



"We also note with particular concern the unacceptable behaviour of supporters entering the field of play. "Scottish football cannot thrive in an atmosphere where referees are subjected to personal attacks for making decisions in the course of their duties.

"Should this behaviour continue, we will reserve all options open to us. We urge all stakeholders to work together to ensure Scottish football remains safe for everyone involved."